Sign Up for Colleen's New Release notifications!

* indicates required

Meet the Authors - 25 Mysteries to Die For - Alannah Rogers

Introducing Alannah Rogers, 25 Mysteries to Die For co-author...





ALANNAH ROGERS AUTHOR INTERVIEW








SC: Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I'm a full-time mystery writer living in Toronto, Canada. I was hired to ghostwrite cozy cat mysteries and about a year and a half ago I decided I wanted to try to write my own! I always had cats growing up. I even subscribed to Cat Fancy magazine when I was a kid, I was so obsessed. I don't have pets now because I travel too much so I write cat mysteries instead.

SC: Was there a certain time in your life you knew you wanted to write?

I've always wanted to be a writer. I even worked in marketing at a major publisher for a while. But at the back of my mind, I always wanted to be the one writing the books. I moved to Mexico City four years ago, where I met my husband. It's a far cheaper city to live in and I was able to start writing full-time while teaching English on the side.

SC: What are you currently working on?

I just finished my ninth Beatrice Young cozy cat mystery called The Amaw-zing British Murder Mystery. Beatrice and her three crime-solving cats go to England on holiday and end up investigating the murder of a fellow guest at their B&B.

SC: Of the books you’ve written, which one is your favorite and why?

I love The Santa Claws Bandit. It is completely ridiculous. The cats participate in a theater version of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol and there's a gun-toting thief dressed as Santa. It's a lot of fun.

SC: What books have most influenced you as a writer?

I'm actually not a huge mystery reader, though I hope to change that. I read a lot of classic children's literature when I was a kid. Think Anne of Green Gables, Nancy Drew, The Secret Garden, The Phantom Toolbooth, the Narnia books. Those simple books with loveable characters and can't-put-'em-'down plots have probably influenced my writing the most.

SC: What do you find to be the most challenging part of writing? And the most rewarding?

Sitting down and actually writing the thing. I do a lot of complaining and avoiding writing by going to the kitchen for coffee and snacks. I'll go to a cafe if I'm really blocked. The background noise relaxes and focuses me, for some reason. The most rewarding part of writing is when you really get into the groove of the story and get excited about the story and characters. I love those moments when I'm writing and I make myself laugh. That's when I know the book is actually going to be funny and not terrible.

SC: What book is on your nightstand?

I just finished The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie. I decided I need to write more complex mysteries, so I'd better study the master!

SC: What can we look forward to seeing from you in the future?

I'm preparing to write The Meowy Christmas Kitten, a new Christmas-themed Beatrice Young cozy cat mystery. It'll release December 4, 2016. Christmas is my favorite holiday so I'm going to have a lot of fun with this book.

SC: Is there anything you’d like to share with your readers?

Even if you hate cats, you should still read my books because the cats in my novels are like normal cats but much, much better. They're like funny little people who have amazing crime-solving skills. Also, you should sign up for my mailing list because I send out cool sales, contests, and special content.


AUTHOR LINKS

Website link n/a





AUTHOR BIO

Alannah Rogers is the pen name for a Canadian writer. She grew up in Nova Scotia and her trips to nearby Maine and New Hampshire helped inspire the Beatrice Young books. She is currently based in Toronto.