Sign Up for Colleen's New Release notifications!

* indicates required

Meet the Authors - 25 Mysteries to Die For - Carolyn L Dean



Introducing Carolyn L Dean, 25 Mysteries to Die For co-author...







CAROLYN L DEAN AUTHOR INTERVIEW








Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I’ve been an author for two years now, and am loving writing cozy mysteries! I’ve written romance and nonfiction, but it has been so much fun to create an imaginary town where I’d want to live. I have a weakness for happy endings and oddball characters, so to discover that cozies are the sort of book I like to write has been amazing.

Was there a certain time in your life you knew you wanted to write?
I’ve known I wanted to write since grade school. I distinctly remember coming home and announcing this to my Mom, who wasn’t terribly surprised. I’d been telling stories around the dinner table since I could talk. Yeah, I was that introverted kid who sometimes lived in a make-believe world and entertained herself at bedtime by making up entire plots of books, just to stay awake.

What are you currently working on?

The third book in my Ravenwood Cove is due out in December, and has a Christmas theme. That means I was listening to Christmas carols before Halloween! I love the holidays, but I think I’m going to be really sick of Christmas music by Christmas Day.

Of the books you’ve written, which one is your favorite and why?

The first book, Bed, Breakfast, and Bones, is hands down my favorite. When I was writing it felt like the characters were introducing themselves to me, opening up their secrets, and showing me where I could tell more of their story in the upcoming books. I’ve been able to tuck in little bits of my own experiences and thoughts, and it’s been really fun to hear the positive feedback I get from readers when they discover things in the story. I feel like I could sit down for a coffee with any of the characters from Ravenwood Cove, and enjoy a nice chat J

What books have most influenced you as a writer?

This is going to sound like a cop out, but I have to say ALL of them. I read everything from Ray Bradbury to Richard Brautigan to Agatha Christie. Mix all that input with a ton of nonfiction reading and it makes for a very eclectic collection.

What do you find to be the most challenging part of writing? And the most rewarding?

I get up at 5 AM every weekday (and sometimes Saturdays) to write. Dragging my backside out of a warm, comfy bed to try to be brilliant in front of laptop is an exercise in futility some mornings…

The most rewarding thing so far has been getting a chance to talk to the people who love cozy mysteries as much as I do! They are a warm, fun bunch of people, and I’ve really enjoyed getting to know them on Facebook.

What book is on your nightstand?

Jan Karon’s “Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good” in hardback, a paperback in The Cat Who series, and about a zillion cozy mysteries loaded on my phone. Hubby has to pry my phone away from me some nights so I’ll get some sleep J

What can we look forward to seeing from you in the future?

Oh, I have lots more adventure and people to write about in Ravenwood Cove! Maybe someday I’ll be introducing some clean romances that are set in the same area, too. Who doesn’t love a little romance at the beach?

Is there anything you’d like to share with your readers?
I would like to tell them how grateful I am for them taking a chance on a newer author, and reading my books. I’ve been absolutely bowled over by how warm and welcoming they’ve been, and it encourages me to keep writing what the sort of book that I love to read! Seriously, I think I have the best readers on the planet.

AUTHOR LINKS

Website link www.carolyndeanbooks.com

Facebook Link (author page) https://www.facebook.com/CarolynDeanBooks/

Twitter Link @CarolynDeanBks


AUTHOR BIO

I've been writing and making stories in my head as early as I can remember. In third grade I came home, set my lunchbox down, and told my mother I wanted to be a writer. Luckily, Mom was supportive.

I've been a published author for a while now, under different names and genres, but the thought of writing about a small coastal town in Oregon, and about its loves and mysteries and holidays and people has been with me for years. To be honest, I am a bit scared to dump those ideas onto the written page, but hope you'll enjoy getting to meet the people who inhabit my imagination.

In real life, I'm married with kids, live on the West Coast of the US, and own a hobby farm just outside of my favorite small town. I love to travel, and can often be found strolling down a windy Oregon beach, holding onto the string of a high-sailing dragon kite.