Sign Up for Colleen's New Release notifications!

* indicates required

Meet the Authors - 25 Mysteries to Die For - Cate Dean

Introducing Cate Dean, 25 Mysteries to Die For co-author...







CATE DEAN AUTHOR INTERVIEW








Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

My name is Cate Dean, and I write in several genres. Along with mystery, I write fantasy, paranormal/urban fantasy, romance – especially time travel, and YA paranormal and fantasy. I love reading in multiple genres, so I write in the ones I love.

Was there a certain time in your life you knew you wanted to write?


I’ve been writing since I was seven, in some form. I knew I wanted to write, seriously write, in my early twenties.

What are you currently working on?

I am finishing up the third book in my Maggie Mulgrew Mysteries – a Christmas mystery, just in time for the holidays. I am also working on two new paranormal series, The Witches of Amity Cove, and a spin off from that series.

Of the books you’ve written, which one is your favorite and why?

I will always have a soft spot for Rosamond’s Heart. It was the first book I published, and the one I learned the most from as I started my writing/publishing journey.

What books have most influenced you as a writer?

So many! I’ve been a rabid reader since I was five, and I haven’t stopped yet. I love Barbara Hambly – she taught me how to create vivid characters, and not be afraid to write the painful, violent action scenes. I am also a huge fan of Raymond E. Feist. His long-running fantasy series has kept me on the hook for years, and I learned how to integrate and spin off characters from him. For pure fun, I dive into Elizabeth Peters, and the Amelia Peabody Mysteries. As an Egyptology and history buff, these books satisfy the need for adventure and history.

What do you find to be the most challenging part of writing? And the most rewarding?

The most challenging is typing fast enough to get the story out of my head and on the page. Dictation has helped with that in so many ways. The most rewarding is hearing from my readers, and learning that they love a character or story as much as I do.

What book is on your nightstand?

I have several. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, Rick Riordan’s latest, Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard (I love his books!), Cinder, and Alan Turing: The Enigma (the book The Imitation Game was based on).

What can we look forward to seeing from you in the future?

More paranormal – there will be a second spin off from The Witches of Amity Cove in the spring, with the character who sees ghosts. More mystery – Maggie Mulgrew will keep solving mysteries, and I will introduce a new series: five sisters who are witches, and find mystery and adventure in their coastal town of Bliss Harbor. There is always more, with my overactive imagination.

Is there anything you’d like to share with your readers?

Thank you, for all your support! I love writing stories for you, and I’m thrilled that you enjoy them. It’s been a wild, wonderful journey, and I enjoy sharing it with all of you.


AUTHOR LINKS





AUTHOR BIO

Cate Dean has been writing since she could hold a pen in her hand and put more than two words together.

She grew up losing herself in the wilds of fantasy worlds, and has had some of her own adventures while tromping through the UK, and a few other parts of the world.

When she's not writing, she loves cooking, scaring herself silly in the local cemeteries, and reading pretty much anything she can get her hands on.